Today, we address still another occasion on which sending a thank you note is imperative—and that’s when you’re in the midst of a job search.
Why Should Jobseekers Send Thank You Notes?
Following a job interview, you should always send a thank you note to whichever people you interviewed with—and for a few reasons:
- First, it’s just the polite thing to do; the interviewer gave you some of their valuable time, and you should let them know you appreciate it.
- It’s a great way to get in just a little more contact with your (potential) future boss—and more contact is always a good thing!
- Finally, most recruiters and hiring managers prefer receiving thank you notes. According to a study cited in the Chicago Tribune, 70 percent of hiring managers say receiving a thank you note impacts their final decision. Meanwhile, 16 percent say that completely dismiss any candidate who does not send a thank you note!
Bottom line: It’s always in your best interests to send a note, even if you feel as though the interview went badly.
What if You Interviewed with Multiple People?
In some cases, of course, one note won’t cut it; if you interview with multiple people at the same company, it’s best to send a thank you note to each one of them individually. Make sure to personalize each one!
When Should You Send Your Thank You Note?
As for the timing, always aim to send your thank you notes within 24 hours! Note: Emailing them is perfectly fine.
What Should You Include in the Note?
As for what to say, you just need a few short sentences. Make sure you:
- Address the person by name (check spelling!)
- Personalize the card with something you learned about the person during the initial “small talk” phase of your interview
- Reiterate your interest in the position
- Underscore one or two key reasons why you think you’re qualified for the job; no need to rehash your whole resume, just some main bullet points
- State how much you appreciate the person’s time and interest
One more thing: If you’re not sure of your thank you note writing skills, the Grammar Chic resume writing team is happy to help. Lean on our expertise for all your job search needs. Contact us at www.grammarchic.net or 803-831-7444.