One way you can enhance your company’s written communication efforts—be that business emails, blog posts, press releases, or internal documents—is by hiring a business editor. A business editor is a skilled professional with expertise in bringing clarity and precision to written copy, focusing in particular on the kinds of copy produced in a business context.
What Does a Business Editor Do?
There are a number of specific ways in which a business editor can serve your company. Some examples include:
- Moving or reorganizing sections of your text, providing a more logical sense of flow and coherence.
- Rewriting minor sections of the copy, enhancing clarity and understanding, or simply making your arguments more persuasive.
- Spotting and removing typos or grammatical errors, giving your copy a strong feel of professionalism.
- Considering your text in light of the target audience and ensuring it’s well-positioned for maximum impact.
- Alerting you to any industry terms, jargon, or acronyms that readers might not understand. (It’s very easy for business owners to overlook these issues; a second set of eyes is invaluable!)
- Omitting any repetition or redundancy, keeping your writing as brief, clear, and focused as possible.
- Ensuring a strong hook and clear outline, which allows your content to better hold the reader’s attention.
- Assisting you in putting business terms and concepts into more accessible language. (Again it’s very easy for business owners to assume their ideas are clear to everyone. A business editor can inform you when that’s not quite the case!)
- Sharpening your formatting and your section headings, making the content easy for readers to scan.
All of these services are offered in collaboration with the business owner or marketing department; a business editor will work with you to get your message across, drawing from your ideas but enhancing them with editorial polish.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Business Editor?
There are some clear perks to enlisting the services of a business editor. Just a few of them include:
- One of the biggest reasons to hire a business editor is that it enhances trust in your company. When you present copy that’s poorly written, unclear, disorganized, or riddled with errors, it makes you look sloppy or amateurish. A good editor can keep everything tight and clean, really helping you to look like you know what you’re doing!
- Clarity of messaging is another important benefit. You know what you’re trying to convey to your target audience, but sometimes you may get so lost in the weeds that you don’t communicate with the necessary precision. A business editor can assist you with carefully honed messaging.
- A business editor can also help you develop a consistent tone and voice for your brand. In other words, a business editor can work with you to make sure all your communications sound like they come from the same place. This tonal consistency can be an important aspect of brand-building.
There are a number of reasons why it can be prudent to hire a business editor. Grammar Chic, Inc. is a long-standing business editing service, with experience assisting entrepreneurs and marketers across countless industries. We’d love to talk to you more about our flexible, customizable business editing options. Reach out to us today and let’s chat: 803-831-7444 or www.grammarchic.net.